Click here for a printable version of our May 2017 Newsletter.
Thank you to all who attended our spring Parent Observation days, April 6th – 12th. We hope you enjoyed seeing how much your children have grown as dancers over this past year!
TUITION – May tuition must be paid by Saturday, May 6th to be eligible for the May drawing to receive 10 free recital tickets! Congratulations to Sophia Schroeder, winner of last month’s $50 YDA Gift Certificate!
By now you should have received the following VIA EMAIL:
- Recital Ticket Purchasing Information sheet – Ticket Day is SATURDAY, MAY 13TH. Make sure you have pulled your lottery “ticket time” from our lottery box!
- Performance Line-up – The order of the dances in each of the seven shoes. Make sure you have double checked that your dancer does not have two dances back to back in any of the recitals.
- Dress Rehearsal Schedule – Dress Rehearsal Days – Friday, June 2nd; Saturday, June 3rd; Monday, June 5th; Tuesday, June 6th; Wednesday, June 7th; and Thursday, June 8th, 2017. Dress rehearsals are held at Greendale High School in the Henry Ross Auditorium. There will be no dress rehearsals or regular classes held at the dance studio or GHS on Friday, June 9th.
- Picture Schedule and *Order Forms – Recital Picture Days – Sunday, May 21st, Tuesday, May 23rd and Wednesday, May 24th. There will be NO regular classes held on Tuesday, May 23rd and Wednesday, May 24th due to Recital Picture Days. Pictures are held at the dance studio. Please let your teachers know if you will be unable to attend your scheduled class picture. *Recital picture order forms will be available at the front desk on Ticket Day, Saturday, May 13th.
- Stage Make-Up Instruction sheet – Includes a diagram and helpful hairstyling tips. (*See below).
- Recital Costumes and Costume Instruction sheets – If you have any questions concerning your dancer’s recital costume please do not hesitate to ask. You should have received an email on Monday, April 24th with a list of classes whose costumes have not yet arrived. Those costumes will be distributed as soon as we receive them. Dancers will not receive a costume if any unpaid fees are past due. Please check with the front desk staff concerning any unpaid balances.
COSTUME ALTERATIONS – Parents of dancers are responsible for alterations to all costumes. We order costumes in December and generally order larger than measurements taken in November to allow for growth. We cannot possibly judge how much or how little all the students we order costumes for will grow or will not grow. PLEASE REMEMBER TO ADJUST PANT LENGTH IF NECESSARY. Costumes come in a standard long length to accommodate the tallest dancers. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE PANTS DRAGGING! Please do not feel it is necessary to go to great lengths to have a costume altered to be custom fit. Many times safety pins and/or basting stitches work well and costumes look fine from stage.
RECITAL SHOES AND TIGHTS – You should already have the proper shoes required for each dance unless they have been back ordered. If any back ordered shoes are not in by your picture day we will hide feet in the group picture or you may be able to borrow a “try-on” for individual pictures if we have the style, color and size you need in stock.
Required style and color of tights for each dance is listed on the costume instruction sheet you should have taken home with your costume. Costume instruction sheets are also available on our website and the YDA app. Please purchase your tights as soon as possible. Tights can be purchased right at our front desk. No ordering necessary! Remember that you need them for pictures on Sunday, May 21st, Tuesday, May 23rd and Wednesday, May 24th. Don’t wait until the last minute to purchase your tights! We sometimes run out of certain sizes and colors on Picture Days when too many people wait until the day of their picture to purchase their tights! Please make sure your dancers have the proper style, color and brand name of tights. We check the dancers for correct tights during Picture Days and at Dress Rehearsals.
*HAIR STYLING & COSMETIC APPLICATION – Now that you have your costume instruction sheets with hairstyle descriptions and hair & make-up instruction sheets, some of you may feel you need a little extra help in the hair and make-up areas. We would like to make this as stress-free as possible for you! On Saturday, May 13th (Ticket Day), a backstage representative will be at the studio throughout the day from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to give you helpful hints in the hair and make-up departments. Some of you may be concerned about changing hairstyles between dance numbers now that you have received the line-up for each show. Representatives from the backstage staff will be able to demonstrate how the hairstyle changes can be done. We want to make this experience as stress-free as possible for you. We want you to enjoy recital time with your dancer. Do not stress yourself out… it is only hair!
Hair Styling & Cosmetic Application Services
Teen dancers and parents of younger dancers in our Technique Intensive Program will be available to set and style hair and apply cosmetics for you for Recital Pictures! They will be using this service as a fundraiser.
IMPORTANT – For hygienic purposes, you must provide your own sponge rollers, hair rubber bands, combs, brushes and bobby pins as well as cosmetics and applicators. We do not share products or applicators.
Services offered are as follows:
- Hair Setting (Rolling) - $15.00 per dancer
- Cosmetic Application - $10.00 per dancer
- Bun Hairstyle - $5.00 per dancer
- Unrolling & Styling Curls - $5.00 per dancer
An appointment must be scheduled for hair setting (rolling). Hair rolling will be done at the studio the evening prior to your Picture Day. (Yes, you can wear your rollers to school. It’s been done many times before by lots of dancers!) No appointment necessary for hair styling and/or cosmetic application. Please arrive at least 1 hour prior to your scheduled picture time for both hair styling and cosmetic application. Arrive 45 minutes early if you will be using only one of the services, either hair styling or cosmetic application. Payments are made directly to the stylist at the time of service. Cash is preferred; however you may write a check directly to the individual stylist as well.
RECITAL TICKETS GO ON SALE SATURDAY, MAY 13th!
Please refer to the ticket purchasing information sheet for more information. No dancers in costume allowed in the auditorium during any shows! If a dancer changes out of costume to sit in a purchased reserved auditorium seat they may not return backstage to participate in the show’s FINALE.
IMPORTANT!!! – All tuition payments and any other outstanding balances must paid IN FULL (tuition through May and any late fees – there is no charge for June) before you can purchase recital tickets! This includes those families purchasing tickets using our “envelope method”.
HANDICAPPED SEATING – If you have someone coming to the show in a wheelchair, walker or has other special needs such as visual impairment, please let us know in writing BEFORE Ticket Day. When you come to the studio on Ticket Day, Saturday, May 13th, we will already have your handicap seating prearranged. Handicap seating will accommodate 1 to 2 additional family members to be seated with the audience member with special needs. Handicap seating is included in the 10-ticket limit and not in addition to your 10 tickets. Again, please let us know ahead of time in writing before Ticket Day, Saturday May 13th.
BACKSTAGE VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!! – Representatives in charge of backstage volunteers will be at the studio on Saturday, May 13th (Ticket Day) so you can check with them about any costume changes your dancer may have within the same Act. You can also sign-up to help backstage. Please sign-up with the backstage coordinators on or before Saturday, May 13th. We need each and every one of you! We especially need dads and moms to volunteer for the boys’ dressing room for each of the 7 shows!
COSTUME CHANGES – Each show is divided into 2 Acts with a 15-minute intermission. The backstage crew will make costume changes within each Act. A list of costume changes within each Act is being compiled at this time. If dancers have a dance in the First Act and one in the Second Act, we assume that you will come backstage during intermission to help your child with the costume and hairstyle change. Please check on Ticket Day (Saturday, May 13th) that your dancer is on the costume change list if your dancer has a costume change within a single Act in any of our 7 recitals. REMEMBER TO LIMIT MOVEMENT IN THE AUDITORIUM DURING THE RECITALS. Please rely on our back stage crew to change your dancer within an Act instead of getting up to go backstage to do it yourself. Auditorium doors will open in between dances ONLY! Please do not get up in the middle of a dance group’s performance to exit the auditorium.
PREPARING FOR THE SHOWS – All dancers are being adequately prepared for the rehearsals and recitals. Teachers explain what to expect backstage and the importance of cooperation in helping to make things run smoothly. For example, little ones are told they must wait for someone to pick them up backstage and not to go looking for mom or dad in the hallways, etc.
RECITAL TIMES – Show time is 7:00 p.m. for each of the 7 performances. You will receive more information about dancer arrival times, etc. in the June Newsletter and Backstage Information sheet, which will be handed out in mid-May during our Recital Picture Days.
2017 – 2018 TECHNIQUE INTENSIVE (TI) PROGRAM AUDITIONS
*Age listed below is the dancer’s age as of JANUARY 1st, 2018 (not necessarily their current age)*
- Dancers Ages 7-10* – Tuesday, May 30th from 4:30 – 6:00pm
- Dancers Ages 11-12* – Tuesday, May 30th from 6:00 – 7:30pm
- Dancers Ages 13 and Older* – Thursday, June 1st from 6:30 – 8:30pm
For more information please pick up a TI Program packet at the front desk! In addition, an informational meeting was held at the dance studio on Saturday, April 29th concerning the above program. If you missed the meeting and have questions, we will put you in touch with a parent representative to answer any of your questions.
TI NEWS... Our competitive dancers will compete at the Showstopper Dance Competition this week in Chicago, May 5th –8th. Good luck dancers and safe travels to Illinois!
RECITAL T-SHIRTS – We are again selling T-shirts to commemorate our annual recital. Recital T-shirts ARE available NOW for PURCHASE! No orders are taken!
T-shirt prices are as follows: $17.00 for one (1), $34.00 for two (2), $45.00 for three (3), each additional shirt is $15.00 each.
To receive the volume discount, you must purchase your T-shirts all at one time. In other words, you may not come in and purchase two shirts one day for $34.00 and then come in on another day and purchase two more T-shirts for the discounted price of $15.00. T-shirts range in size from Child Small up to Adult Extra Large. Please make checks payable to Young Dance Academy or you may pay with cash. Get your t-shirts early! This year’s recital shirts are selling fast! We are SOLD OUT of the following sizes: Child Small, Adult Large & Adult Extra-Large. We do not place a second order, so once they are gone, they’re gone!
UPCOMING DAYS OFF – Just a reminder…
- NO regular classes on Tuesday, May 23rd & Wednesday, May 24th (Recital Picture Days).
- NO classes on Friday, May 26th, Saturday, May 27th & Monday, May 29th, the Memorial holiday weekend.
- No classes on Friday, June 2nd. There will be regular classes at the studio on Saturday, June 3rd, as those classes do not overlap with dress rehearsals at GHS. NO regular classes will be held at the studio Monday, June 5th - Saturday, June 17th, dress rehearsal and recital performances at GHS.
Information coming to you soon:
1) More recital information (arrival times, procedure, etc.)
2) Information for those who have volunteered to help back stage.
3) Recital DVD ordering information.
Sandy Young and Staff